Subject: Signs at the Stewart/Colbert rally
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:51:31 -0400
My collection was totally eclectic, its only rule being that I had to be able to read the entire sign. Much to my surprise, very few of them were printed; at least 95% (other than those that just touted 'sanity' and 'fear') were unique, hand-written signs. They covered a very wide range of topics - with pro-Democratic and anti-Tea Party or Glenn Beck or Fox being in the majority (or perhaps just a plurality), but by no means overwhelming. A few were Republican. Many focused on keeping the dialogue civil. Some made no sense at all.
Rather than attempt to organize them in any way, here they are:
· $2 billion a day for war isn’t security. It’s a scandal.
· A fact ignored is no less true.
· A pox on Fox.
· A true American eats bald eagle eggs.
· America seems cranky. Time for a night.
· Apprehensive Canadians for truthiness.
· Assuming either the left wing or the right wing gained control of the country, it would
probably fly around in circles. –Pat Paulsen
· Be afraid. It’s all going to hell.
· Be the change you wish to see in the world. –Gandhi
· Bipartisanship is not gay hookup.
· Boycott Arizona.
· Can common and sense be legally remarried in the USA?
· Canadians for a sensible America.
· Change hurts, but I like it.
· Charter schools are good sometimes, but not always.
· Civil discourse sound sane to me.
· Civil war was an inside job.
· Civilized debate should be an oxymoron.
· Class warrior.
· Comedians make better news anchors.
· Corporations are not We the People.
· Crazy about sanity.
· Dear God, please protect us against your ‘good’ people.
· Dear Press: Please report the news instead of sensationalizing it. You are giving me a
· Decibels do not good arguments make.
· Dialog not diatribe.
· Did some1 say chimichanga.
· Disagree agreeably.
· Divided we all fall.
· Don’t let NO win.
· Don’t like government? Move to Somalia (take your AK-47).
· Don’t touch my death panels.
· Don’t tread on anyone. It’s rude.
· Dumb [picture of Sarah Palin] and dumber [picture of Christine O’Donnell]
· Eat more and bigger pretzels.
· Ecology not economy.
· Education doesn’t make you an elitist. It makes you smart.
· Election 2000: It’s not your vote that counts. It’s how your vote is counted.
· End the electoral college.
· End the two-party system.
· Everyone on earth is unique and beautiful. How can we trust them?
· Evidence based government.
· Extreme fundamental orthodox moderate.
· Extreme moderate.
Fear Obama’s Xcellence
· Fear all GOD experts
· Fox keeps fear alive.
· Fox lies 4 ratings.
· Fox News says I’m not here right now.
· Fox News: fibs and balderdash.
· Fred says won’t you be my neighbor?
· Freedom of speech does not negate common sense.
· Friends don’t let friends teabag.
· Get high on political awareness.
· Get the government out of my federal entitlement programs.
· Get your church out of my state.
· Go Steelers.
· Got PIISD? (Private Insurance Induced Stress Disorder) Get the cure: Improved Medicare for All.
· Got schools? police? fire departments? medical care? etc.? etc.? Brought to you by your government and paid for by your taxes.
· Gravity is only a theory.
· Grizzly bears are taking our jobs.
· Grizzly bears. Foxes. Elephants. When did my country turn into a circus?
· Hate the deficit. Legalize and tax marijuana.
· He who slings mud loses ground.
· He’s black. Get over it.
· Health care for everyone is not socialism. It’s humane – and sane. Just ask a Canadian.
· Hey Congress: Stop fighting. Get to work.
· Hey Tea Baggers. We don’t want the government you deserve.
· Hi mom. I’m an atheist.
· How can we have a conversation if you answer questions with talking points.
· I am afraid of tornados and I’m reasonably worried about religious fundamentalists.
· I am not a witch. I just don’t know the Constitution.
· I am not afraid to be afraid.
· I am the silent majority and I vote.
· I can be persuaded by a logical argument.
· I can see Obama’s birth certificate from my front porch.
· I don’t do original thought very well.
· I don’t know, but my gut says ‘maybe.’
· I fear the Washington Monument is turning me gay.
· I know how to spell. Yes, I’m an elitist.
· I masturbate and I vote.
· I may disagree with you, but I won’t curbstone you unless you’re a bear.
· I only trust pollution I can see.
· I pitty the fool that suports heath reform.
· I respect your right to say stupid things.
· I support privatized fire departments.
· I support the bowel movement.
· I think U R Hitler cuz I disagree with U.
· I think; therefore I’m here.
· I’m a Republican, but I’m not with stupid [picture of Glenn Beck].
· I’m calm. I’m rational. And I’m not going to take it anymore.
· I’m from Arizona. I apologize.
· I’m listening to you. Maybe you should try that.
· I’m not a witch…burn her anyway.
· I’m not afraid, but I’m insane.
· I’m right. You’re wrong. God said so.
· Icitation needed.
· If ignorance is bliss, then why are Glenn Beck supporters so unhappy?
· If Obama is a Muslim, can we have Fridays off?
· If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
· If U R here but don’t vote Tuesday, wtf?
· If you listen to Fox, you got a head full of rocks.
· If your beliefs fit on a sign, think harder.
· Imagine living in reality.
· In sanity we trust. Vote smart.
· It’s a democracy, not an auction.
· It’s loaded and I’m not afraid to use it. [picture of a brain]
· It’s not us vs. them cuz we’re all us.
· It’s OK to disagree. Just please use your indoor voice.
· Jesus, please protect us from us followers.
· Jon Stewart is a witch.
· Keep Boehner flaccid. Vote Democratic.
· Kentuckians against head stomping.
· Legalize gay pot.
· Let’s put other mustaches on Obama.
· Let’s use science from now on.
· Liberty and justice for all includes immigrants and gays.
· Love un employ meant.
· Make it so.
· Make mine saniTea.
· Men and women get along usually. Democrats and Republicans can too.
· Mississippi gay couples say “be nice…y’all.”
· My 16-year old students don’t even use terms like fascism, communism, and socialism
interchangeably. Sadly our leaders do.
· Not tired of defending Obama.
· Now I’m no racist but…aren’t puppies adorable?
· Obama cares.
· Obama is right-handed, just like Hitler.
· Overall I’m pretty happy.
· Overcome with fear? Free hugs here
· Palin Beck 2012 – lipstick and dipstick.
· Perhaps we can find an amicable compromise.
· Please don’t feed the protesters.
· Pro Zombie.
· Progressive values are American values.
· Public education matters in a democracy.
· Read, reason.
· Reason is pleasin’.
· Red states pay less and get more. Are you sure you are for less government?
· Regulate boardrooms, not bedrooms.
· Relax people. I think we’ll be OK.
· Repeal the third amendment.
· Repeating your point does not make your statement valid. Repeating your point does not
make your statement valid.
· Respect my intelligence.
· Respect my right to choose.
· Restore sanity. Glenn Beck not playing with a full deck.
· Restore sanity. Legalize pot.
· Restore sanity. Senators should end the unconstitutional filibuster.
· Run for your lives.
· Run marathons, not deficits.
· Sarah Palin and the Tea Party movement: the Joseph McCarthy Red Scare of my generation.
· Separation of corporation and state.
· Settle the kettle. Run for your lives.
· So let’s have coffee.
· Solar powered clothes dryer. Free starter kit.
· Solutions not ideologies.
· Southerners know crazy when we see it.
· Stop bitching. Start a revolution.
· Stop illegal migration. Keep Canadian geese from entering our country.
· Stop Socialism! Boycott public roads, bridges, air traffic control, public sewers, firefighters,
police, parks, schools, and the military.
· Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow-minded bigoted a—hole.
· Stop whining. Vote.
· Support our President.
· Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
· Tea – the new koolade.
· Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.
· Thank you Fox News for keeping us inflamed.
· The asses of evil [triangle with Palin, Beck, and Tea Party at the corners}
· The Constitution means whatever we say it means.
· The voices in my head voted 8-3 in favor of sanity.
· There is always money in the banana stand.
· There is no cure for Bieber fever.
· There is not a treasure map on the back of the Declaration of Independence.
· There was only one Hitler and he is dead. I should know; I’m Jewish.
· Things are looking better.
· Think outside the Fox.
· Think with your brain, not your tea bag.
· Think! It’s good for the country.
· Thinking is a liberal bias.
· Thinking like Glenn Beck has been known to cause blindness.
· This is the first sign of the apocalypse (buy gold).
· This rally’s insane.
· This sign doesn’t say anything.
· Throw the tea party overboard.
· Time to take our country
· Trick or treaters are socialists. Say no to handouts.
· Truthiness b/c the truth is more complicated.
· USA equals one nation, not 2 annoying political parties.
· Wake up America. Just kidding; go back to sleep.
· War without a draft is not democratic.
· We are not all jerks.
· We are sending you back to Alaska for a Time Out.
· We can’t afford another proudly ignorant President. [picture of Sarah Palin]
· We dislike hate.
· We have nothing to fear but Colbert himself.
· We march for hope not hate.
· We need more cowbell.
· We want sanity, not Hannity.
· We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason. –Edward R Murrow
· We’re fired up, Obama.
· When did intelligence become a curse word?
· When the power of love overcomes the love